Caramelized Onion-Veggie Burger
- Serves: 8 burgers
- Serving size: 1 burger
- Calories: 337
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 53g
- Sodium: 653mg
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 14g
- Cholesterol: 32mg
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- ½ pound cremini mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup canned lentils, rinsed and drained
- ¾ cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (about ¼ cup)
- 6 whole-grain buns
- 8 tomato slices (optional)
- Fresh basil leaves (optional)
- Pulse first 3 ingredients in food processor until finely chopped.
- Caramelized Onion-Veggie BurgerHeat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat in a skillet; turn down to medium, and cook onion, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Add mushroom mixture, and cook, stirring, about 2-3 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Remove from heat, and let cool.
- Stir cooled mushroom mixture into lentils, and combine with next 3 ingredients (through salt) until well-combined. Form mixture into 6 patties (about ½ cup each). Put cornmeal on a shallow plate, and coat burgers evenly.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat, and cook burgers about 3 minutes or until golden brown on underside. Flip burgers, and top with cheese. Cook about 3 minutes more or until golden brown and cheese is melted. Serve burgers on buns topped with tomato and basil, if desired.